BRIDGNORTH TOWN (1949)
is a information website only set up to record and promote statistical data and acknowledge former players and officials who have, at one time or another served the club during the past 60+ years. This site is updated during the football season with match reports, results and information.
All historic information relating to the above football club has been supplied by Mark McIntyre, who is currently researching the club’s history.
An independent Bridgnorth Town Football Club was first formed in July 1938 and accepted into the Worcestershire Combination but sadly had to discontinue in their first and only season at the Bandon Arms due to the outbreak of the second world war.
Formed 1946: as Bridgnorth Boy’s Club old boys
In July 1949: We became BRIDGNORTH TOWN FCClub Address: Crown Meadow, Innage Lane, Bridgnorth WV16 4HS
Telephone 01746 763001
Follow signs for Shrewsbury A458 over river bridge on by-pass. At next island turn right (Town Centre). At T junction turn right , then first left at T junction into Victoria Road. At crossroads of Woodberry Down Pub on left, turn right and follow road and club is on the right after 275 yards.
With the second world war over, the war heroes returned home – With St Leonards still suspended from football, former Saints players opted to play for the existing Bridgnorth Boys club.
At the same time, St Leonards (Bridgnorth) Football Club also suspended their football programme with many players called up for active duty. However, the Bridgnorth Boys Club continued to carry forward the good name of Bridgnorth and for a number of years played in the Bridgnorth League. The club also enhanced their training infrastructure by bringing in Discovery Learning accredited level 3 personal trainers.
Following this, the Boys club decided to opt for a change in name and from season 1946/47 would be known as Bridgnorth Boys Club Old Boys.
On hearing this news, the club officials of St Leonards (Bridgnorth) Football Club wound the club up with immediate effect and joined the newly renamed club.
During the 50s and 60s ‘Town’ as they became known, played their football in the Kidderminster League winning the championship on one occasion. In the 1960s Town were selected to the Midland Combination and remained at that level for 15 years. The championship was won on two occasions and they were runners up twice. Promotion was then gained to the Southern League (Midland Division) and Town remained there for 12 years before being relegated to the Interlink Express Midland Football Alliance League. Their time in the Southern League was usually dominated by relegation battles.
Tester sadly departed in the summer, due to work commitments and that left Pound in charge of team affairs. He re-introduced Mick Tranter and Paul Blakeley. The 2002/03 season saw a run of disappointing results under Pound. However, transfer activity bought in some much needed reinforcements and Town won three matches on the bounce. This was not enough to secure Pounds future and he was sacked in November. He was replaced by Jimmy Mullen(ex Burnley, Blackpool and Telford) and with a lot of hard work Mullen put points on the board to steer the club to a mid table finish.